This help center has been deprecated and moved to a new address, please follow this link to open an active help center.

Thank you and sorry for inconvenience!



Follow

How to find the license file or information used by the IDE

The active license can be observed in the Help | Register dialog.

License itself is stored in the <product><version>.key file under the IDE configuration directory.

Please note that this file has UCS2 (2-byte Unicode) encoding and you can't view it in basic editors like Notepad, you need to open it in some Unicode-aware editor if you goal is to find the user name and the key. First line contains the key, second line contains user name.

Comments

  • Avatar
    Jeff

    We have a classroom license for WebStorm and I'd like to install it for all users on our computer lab systems so that all of our students can use it.  With IntelliJ IDEA, all I had to do was copy the license file to bin/idea.license of the IntelliJ installation directory, and it picked up the license without each user having to have a license file installed in his/her home directory.

    Is the same possible with WebStorm?  I tried copying the webstorm60.key to bin/webstorm60.license, bin/webstorm.license, bin/idea.license, etc., but it still asked me for a license key each time I opened WebStorm.  Upon running WebStorm through strace, it doesn't appear that it is even looking for any license files other than in ~/.WebStorm6/config.

    Please advise.  Thank you.

  • Avatar
    Serge Baranov

    Jeff, it's not possible with WebStorm, you have to use the License Server or install the the license manually for every user.

    Contact the sales team for more details about the License Server.

  • Avatar
    Jeff

    Too bad.  Thanks for the quick response.

  • Avatar
    Powem

    The referenced file appears to Win7 as a registry key file.  You can open it in Notepad.  The formatting is whacked, but it is displayed as plain text.  SciTE opens it with all the NUL characters visible.  SublimeText 2 opens it as hex, because of the NUL characters.  Since ST doesn't have a hex editor, you can't change it back to characters.  The only editor I found that would properly handle it is UltraEdit.  Set the encoding to  UTF-16LE and the text is properly formatted.  IMO, this is fairly whacked, since an "upgrade" consists of uninstalling the old version and then installing a new copy of the new version.  Registration is not preserved, so the user is left to reenter the license key.  A legitimate upgrade should carry forward the licensing information.

Powered by Zendesk