You can observe various networking related problems when running the IDE under JDK 1.7, it mainly affects Windows, but can also happen on other systems.
The list of common errors
- Connection to 'xxxxxxx.com' failed
- Could not list the contents of folder
- java.net.SocketException: Permission denied: recv failed
- java.net.SocketException: Permission denied: connect
- java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
- java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address: connect
- org.jboss.netty.channel.ChannelException: Failed to create a selector
- java.net.ConnectException: connection timed out
- Browsing the plugin repository
- Downloading the JDBC drivers for the database module
- Downloading external JS and Java libraries for local autocompletion
- Resolving Maven dependencies
- Performing compilation with external build mode enabled
- FTP deployment
- License server connection
- Obtaining an exclusive lock to prevent concurrent caches/settings access on IDE startup
- Add -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true into the list of the IDE JVM options. If you are using IPv6 only network, specify
- On Windows run netsh advfirewall set global StatefulFTP disable to resolve FTP connection issues.
- Agnitum Outpost Security Suite and some other firewalls may block even localhost connections, disabling firewall may not help, only uninstalling the firewall will resolve the problem.
- If nothing above helps, try running the IDE under JDK 1.6 instead.